Gig Posters

Posters: 155313 | Bands: 135325 | Designers: 11495                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Thumbs down Admats and money

So this promoter I've just barely come in contact with has sent me instructions for 2 Admats that need some band logos tacked on.

We never talked money in the brief exchange preceding his sending me materials. It was one of those things. I meet dude initially and I say, "yeah sure I can do some gigs let's talk about it", guy asks for my email. Next thing I know I get these things he needs done "yesterday".

Lack of tact and communication skills aside, I'll do the junk. I've just never done one of these things, so I have no clue on how to charge. I'm figuring it's hourly. I mean it's placing some logos and saving out a JPG/PSD. Waterhead shit.

Any of you all have any experience with doing these type of add-ons and how do you charge?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

That shit is so easy that I used to just trade that for beer/food tab.

Comments

Me too, but this guy is in Baltimore and tabs don't pay the bills.

I'm going with an hour minimum and rush mark-up on each of the 2 jobs this guy threw at me.

Frigging promoters, mazn.

Comments
    Items for Sale

make sure you tell him what you're charging up front, and don't do the work until he acknowledges, even if it risks screwing up his deadline. That will lessen the chances of him being "surprised" when he gets your invoice.

Comments

Oh, Mr. Standard, it just got way better... he was referred to me by a friend so I did the stupid things this morning and sent super low res proofs with this message:
    We didn't talk anything about money yet—which is unsettling to me—but I went ahead and banged these out for you since you're a friend of _________. I am a business though, and that requires me to have certain terms, minimums, and documentation to cover my ass and the asses of my customers. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. At any rate, all things that can be worked out.

Attached is a low resolution proof, not suitable for print. Once approved, I will place the files in an online dropbox for you or your service provider to download and print.
    His reply:
    _________ is actually my girlfriend, but thats not really of any matter, lol just saying

I do understand where you are coming from, but lets be honest these are not posters you made from scratch if they were, then yes, we absolutely need to discuss upfront what you would like me to pay. These are not posters, just flyers, that are made into 5000 postcards so if you are thinking of asking for $50 or something for a flyer I can tell you straight up, that wont work.
    I get top of the line stuff done , for like $20 AGAIN, thats FLYERS we are talking about

not tour posters, or t shirts
    just flyers.

So yeah, when we start doing stuff from scratch, yeah, we definitely need to go over a pricing that we both agree on , so we can get stuff done
    Looking forward to it

BOTH OF THESE ARE APPROVED !!!

SEND THE HI RES VERSIONS !!
    So I says:
    I know I didn't make them from scratch, but I am in the business of being in business. I'm not a local so lures of bar tabs don't apply. I charge $35/hr with an hour minimum. These here got you 2 hours of my time and I was going to pass on the Rush Mark-up.

I work, I expect to get paid. You get paid for your work.

We can play nice together or not at all. Maybe you should just go with the top of the line $20 guy.

Best to your girlfriend.

Premium Member

Comments

$500

lol. $20.

Comments

Ooof
    I dont know what the bar tab lure means.......so not sure what to make of that.
    So are you saying , you are expecting $70 for this?
    If so........no thanx bro.

I would pay you $70 if you made both of these from the ground up , that would be no problem really
    but adding a few logos to already made admats, cmon .

So I would have no problem paypalling you $20 for this, because you did some work for me
    and I am certainly looking to do more in the future for sure.........so let me know what we can do here
    and get the HI RES files from you.

Thanx man for getting back to me so quick
    Response: Go with the $20 guy.

Comments
    Items for Sale

You need to crank up that hourly rate. Keeps the chumps away.

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

What Tom said.