Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135495 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Freelance Designers Required...

AMP Merchandising Ltd. is a full service merchandising company with long-standing roots in Western Canada. We are currently establishing a stable of freelancers to contribute to the design and production of custom art for our broad range of clients, which includes major electronic games, sports, and media companies.
    Some, but not all, projects will be based upon variations of existing marketing collateral.
    Contractors will be paid for each piece accepted for production, and must be prepared to accept constructive criticism during the preliminary stages of the process. Some, but not all, projects will be based upon existing marketing collateral. A knowledge of spot-colour usage for screen-printing would be a benefit, but is not required. Recent graduates are welcome to apply.
    Please forward links to the above email address. Applicants without an online/ digital portfolio will not be replied to.
    We look forward to hearing from you!

art at ampmerch dot com

AMP Merchandising

UPDATE: talked to the Boss and we're going to include a kill fee, so now I'd like to hear what the fee is based on-percentage of agreed upon price? Flat? Percentage of time spent? Let me know!
    Last edited by joshua pratt; 07-09-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Comments

ADDENDUM:
    I am posting this for my company, but we will need an education on what is acceptable to freelancers-so feel free to reply here to wise me up on the state of the business-I haven't done much freelance myself...I am definitely not approaching this as a Capitalist Pig looking to squeeze the worker for everything I can get! Just keep in mind I work for the Man, and we'll have to negotiate within that framework...if we can make deals, great, if not, I'll go back to the chief with my new knowledge. Thanks all.

PS I may not reply to all posts here, but I will be keeping up with it-and passing the info up the chain to the Puppet Masters above me...
    Last edited by joshua pratt; 07-09-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: new info

Comments

"Contractors will be paid for each piece accepted for production..."

This might be the part that raises eyebrows. Do designers get compensated for the hours they spend working on the project, or do you only "buy" the finished, approved design? If it's the latter, you may want to check out all the posts on Creative Allies' contests in this forum. Batten down the hatches!

Freelancers are a diverse body of individuals. Some are students, some do it for extra income, and others do it full time as a primary source of income. There's not a unified voice for all freelances, but you can check out professional organizations like AIGA to see their opinions on various subjects.

Comments

Thanks-I'm learning as I go, and I'll have to pass it up the chain-then hopefully we can keep anyone who works with us happy- I think it would be a kick in the pants to spend all that time and effort for something that doesn't pan out. I am going to propose some sort of 'cancelled job' compensation-is there a term for this?
    If it turns out 'We' don't want to modify our approach, we're going to get what we pay for!

Premium Member

Comments

most freelance designers do, and should, expect to be compensated for any work created regardless of whether the design is chosen for production. if a design is not chosen for production there is usually a "Kill Fee" to be paid which is generally 50% of the full compensation.

another detail to consider is copyrights. if your company intends to have full ownership to each design, you should expect to pay more than if you were to purchase a license for a specified usage, territory, time, etc...

Comments

Nice.

well said Vroooom.
    The "Contractors will be paid for each piece accepted for production..." doesn't work too well for us freelancers.
    Especially when many opinions can get thrown around in a board room to kill any given piece, outside of the control of the freelancer. It's just not fair practice and sounds like speculative work...
    AIGA position on spec work — AIGA | the professional association for design

Comments

1. Designer estimates total hours for project
    2. Designer & client agree on an hourly rate
    3. Client pays designer 50% of estimated total hours x hourly rate
    4. Designer designs
    5. Client pays designer remaining balance upon completion

*No exceptions for new clients

Comments

this could be cool if you could get the terms fair with the higher ups.

i currently freelance for nearly a dozen merch companies, wouldn't hurt to throw my hat in for another..

what is the email address to send stuff to?

Comments

fixed the first post to show AN EMAIL ADDRESS. D'oh