Gig Posters

Posters: 152981 | Bands: 133637 | Designers: 11369                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default Warriors painting process

Here's a look into my process for making a painting. Like everything I do, it all starts with a sketch. Not the prettiest looking thing, but a start is a start.

I'm really into the old men's magazine and pulp covers, which I though was a good fit for the subject matter. All those guys worked from polaroids they shot from models or a lot of times, themselves. I know I'm opening myself up to a world of photoshoppery, but what the hell. I didn't have a helper, so I hooked my camera up to a tv, set the timer, and assumed the position. It was a pain in the ass.

Next, cutting and pasting my pics with the screen grabs I got from the movie:

Making some sense of it all:

Happy with the results, I printed out the sketch at full size and tiled the sheets together to transfer onto canvas:

I used Saral brand transfer paper. I put a book behind the canvas for some resistance, otherwise the pressure from tracing might stretch the canvas out of shape.
    Transferred sketch:

I didn't take too many progress shots, except for the following. I'm using Golden acrylics from the tube and some Lascaux. The first layer of color is all very transparent and awkward. It always kind of freaks me out, feels at first like it's not going to go so well. Here's Swan, the main Warrior. You can see what I mean about the transparency:

Now the fine-tuning:

The way I work, it's all about finessing things until I'm satisfied. Pushing this, pulling that. hard edge here, soft edge there.
    The punk:

I wasn't happy with the hand I drew for the baseball fury, so I took another pic:

This one I shot with the webcam to get a different perspective on it. Swan's right arm really bugged me. I drew it straight from my photo, but the camera/perspective really made it look stubby:

One thing that I've learned not to do relatively recently is settle for something that I know I can make better. Maybe nobody would care that the arm was a little stubby, but I would never be happy with it. I painted it once, so I can definitely paint it again. In the past I wasn't as critical and definitely a bit lazy. Somewhere along the line I learned some discipline. New arm:

Workspace:

And finished product. I'm getting this shot professionally, with the intent of getting some giclees done.

This is for the Crazy4Cult 4 show at Gallery 1988. Opens July 6th. I'm actually going to be there, it would be super cool to meet some of you LA peeps out there.
    Thanks for looking!

Comments

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUUMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Nice work Johnny!

Premium Member

Comments

One more thing I forgot to add, this spans from June 2-June 21. Working mostly nights and weekends, 3-6 hours at a time. I don't know what that adds up to, all I know is it's a lot. Man I hope I sell this thing.

Premium Member

Comments

that is so awesome Johnny... great stuff... really cool to see it come together like that
    Don't hate me because I'm beautiful, Hate me because I'm an asshole!

Ass, Grass or Cash... No-one designs for free...

posters / Facebook / Gallery Work / Ad/Promo work / WWW.SKULLUXE.COM / Big Cartel Store

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks! It's nice when these things turn out the way you hope they do.

Premium Member

Comments

also damn. nice work as always, johnny sampson.
    most of the time we never fish!

Premium Member

Comments

Amen brotha....very nice piece...awesome process

Premium Member

Comments

this came out great dude, and i know what you mean about needing reference shots. i have folders full of embarrassing poses and awkward faces.

Comments

throwin' up the topless shots

Premium Member

Comments

Sooooooo goooooood. What an awesome process thread.
    "Fame" can lick my sweaty undercarriage. ~Jeph
    that's like hearing hugh hefner is over the p_ssy thing. ~motownjc
    middle america doesn't riot. that's why we have europeans ~poguemahone

POSTERS ASPrintingPress.com Etsy Flickr Cop A Squat Toys Instagram