Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135233 | Designers: 11482                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dividing gallon of emulsion into quarts?

Hi all,

Just bought my first gallon of emulsion and I am worried about it going bad before I can use it up.

Does anyone like the idea of separating out one quart at a time and adding 1/4 of the diazo at a time and putting the rest in the fridge till needed?

Also can I mix up the powdered diazo and pour out a quarter at a time or will it go off once mixed with water?

Thanks for any ideas!

Premium Member

Comments

In any case, do make sure you mix the beejeebus out of EVERYTHING before you attempt this. It would make me hella nervous, but you don't want one good quart and three bad ones. That will make you crazy.

Hi Brad!
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Hey Rick!

It will most definitely make me crazy.

Comments

i also recently bought my first gallon, and i had this same idea. the problem is, i am pretty sure once you add water to diazo, it gets activated and starts its life cycle (i'll let the pros prove me wrong, if not). the only "true" way to make this happen would be to pour the powder onto a scale, divide that by 4, and only add water to the portion you're going to mix.

so what i did is just mix the whole damn gallon, and i put the other three quarts in the refrigerator. i'm on my second quart now, and it's working out fine so far. at this point, i don't care about the other two because buying a quart at the store costs $31 and buying a gallon costs about $56. so the way i see it, if i can get through 2 quarts, then it doesn't matter if the other two go bad. i'm still saving money

Premium Member

Comments

" the only "true" way to make this happen would be to pour the powder onto a scale, divide that by 4, and only add water to the portion you're going to mix."

Hmmm.... a scale you say? a scale to measure very small amounts of powder?

Comments

Just use it or lose it.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by pobiak View Post
    " the only "true" way to make this happen would be to pour the powder onto a scale, divide that by 4, and only add water to the portion you're going to mix."

Hmmm.... a scale you say? a scale to measure very small amounts of powder?
    yes, then i use a straw or a rolled-up jackson to get the powder where i need it to go when done measuring. everyone has their thing.

Premium Member

Comments

I'd take a sensitized gallon as a sign that you need to print more. A LOT more.
    Shizouka!

Brg!

"I don't know shit about screenprinting and can still tell all the questions you ask are retarded." -Blonde
    I can't imagine being in this position and saying to myself "Hey! I bet the people at Gigposters will be helpful!". -Phoon

Comments

you are right of course, but like i said, if a quart costs $31 and a gallon costs $56, then you should always buy the gallon if you know you're going to get through at least 2 quarts of it. sure it's wasteful if you don't use the whole thing, but the other option is to pay $62 for two individual quarts, which is flat out stupid if you're at all concerned about money.

i'm going to see if i can get through the whole gallon, but if i can't, i might consider donating future portions to my local CC (if they'll take it).

Comments

You can also refrigerate it to extend the life.

I bet a supplier would have an answer on this question.