I finally tried my hand at printing a full bleed image. And it was for a really awesome band, Silver Mount Zion. I started out doing some sketches and ultimately produced a pencil drawing (shown below on my light table with a new sheet of paper on top of it as I begin to ink for the final drawing).
Below is the finished drawing. You can see some pencil marks to be used as reference for placing the text. These were erased/covered up by the lettering.
Here is some handwritten text. Some of it will be enlarged and inverted on a copy machine.
Here is the key line film.
Cutting the first color!
I'm using a film pen on the film here. The aim was to achieve a gradient texture that kind of mimics the sparkle finish on a vintage drum set.
First color printed! There will be lots of transparent overprinting now.
Cutting the second color. It will be a transparent yellow-orange sort of color.
Mixing the second color:
Printing the second color, a subtle split fountain:
Here is the third color, a very transparent pastel yellow. This film was also made using a lots of stippling with a film pen.
The fourth color was a transparent white/gray that I hoped would give me highlights, as well as light shadows when printed over the plain stock.
Okay, time for the key line! Here are a bunch of the prints in the drying rack. But I'm not done yet.
Now the fun part. I used to work at a printing company, and they've got a couple of huge paper cutters. So I head over there to get these trimmed down.
My dad works here. Here he is holding up the finished product:
All stacked up and ready to sign!