OK. I'm not the first one to do this, and this may not be the best way to do it, but I did it.
First, I figured out whether or not this thing would hold enough prints to be worth building. I determined the maximum height the rack could be (taking into account the garage door opener in the middle of the room) and settled on 6 feet.
Next, I figured out if that 6 feet would allow approximately 30 shelves. That doesn't sound like a lot, but I didn't want to crowd them in too much, and typically by the time I do 30 prints, the first prints are already dry, so I can layer them up on the rack and it should be fine. Proceed.
The sketch looked like this:
I bought a mess of 2x4s to build the frame. I clamped them together and measured 2" increments to mark where the notches would be cut:
The marks are on the edges, but the notches were cut on the wider part, or face, of the 2x4. FYI.
1x2s might have been sturdy enough, but I didn't' want to get to that point in the project only to find out that they weren't, and have to tear it apart and build it again. If I build another one, I might use 1x2s.
Next I set my tablesaw to 1/2" and ran the 2x4s through, scoring them every 2 inches. The blade makes a 1/8" cut, for the 1/8" hardboard (masonite) pieces that I picked up at Lowes. I had the Lowes guy cut the 4' x 8' sheets into six equal 24" x 32" panels so they could fit in my car. This is also the most efficient size as you get the most pieces from a 4x8 sheet, and it's big enough to hold one poster comfortably, and 2 with some hanging-off-the-edge.
Then I build the top and bottom, to which I would attach the scored 2x4s:
With the frame assembled, I start sliding the shelves into the notches:
There is a 1x2 in the middle of the rack to cinch the frame together, as some of the shelves weren't nestled in the notches as far as I would have liked:
Eventually, I re-did the rectangular frames which pulled the whole thing together more tightly, pushing the shelves into the grooves better.
These are 3" rubber casters. They seem a little too soft right now, because they don't roll very smoothly. But I'm thinking they'll loosen up over time.
This will save me a short walk across my studio to where I had a wire-with-binder-clips-drying system. Those few steps with every single print add up, so I'm hoping this will speed things up. It ended up costing about $75 or so in materials. So there you go.
Last edited by dennyschmickle; 03-17-2010 at 09:53 AM.
This is great! Bookmarking this thread for the time when we get tired of drying on the wire and clip system. We usually ruin at least one print due to moving too fast and cliping wet ink into the bulldog clamp.