Gig Posters

Posters: 155619 | Bands: 135530 | Designers: 11506                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Poster

Default My First Poster

Here is my first attempt at a poster. I may not be the best but I believe the posted turned out pretty good. I plan on changing the text of the 'special guest' bands tomorrow. I am just having difficultly finding text that would fit good for that section. I just thought I'd upload this now to see what anyone other artists/professionals think. Any criticism is gladly appreciated. Thanks...

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ventPoster.png

Comments

i see nothing

Comments

oh there it is, leave it.

yeah sorry i had to edit the link because it was broken, and im taking it you like it how it is since you said to leave it lol

Premium Member

Comments

It's okay as a rough. Composition is straightforward and your image can be made interesting.

Whether or not you used Live Trace, it has an overwhelming Live Trace look. Kind of half-assed looking. Doesn't matter if people know what LT is or not -- it just has a lazy quality by association from having seen similar examples.

The text would work better contained inside the shirt. And lose the outlines. Distressed text w/ outlines... doesn't make sense to the eye. Plenty of contrast between the shirt and text where you don't need them.

Birds in the background clash w/ principal image (b/c they are far sharper/more detailed compared to the masked character, yet they're small background elements).

Watercolor-sky/background doesn't really jive w/ the main graphic either. The diagonal halftoney lines work but not so much the watercolor/texture.

Thaz what I think mang.

Welcome. Go Premium.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?

Thank you for your criticism kylewbaker. Yes I used LT, I wanted the main character to have a more cartoon feel almost like the game Borderlands. Is LT a bad method to use, I'm not the best drawer but I can get by. Anyways I wanted a shit ton of birds flying away and the red tattered watercolored sky (I thought the halftone lines helped with this) for the mere fact of the bands name and how it reminds me of like the end of the world or whatever. I will keep the text in mind as I play with it some more. Thanks again

Comments

you're overthinking it.

Comments

Strong Image + Strong Type = done.
    Don't worry about birds and watercolor stuff. Simple first, then hard. Try doing this is Black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Hobbs View Post
    Strong Image + Strong Type = done.
    Don't worry about birds and watercolor stuff. Simple first, then hard. Try doing this is Black and white.
    yeah im pretty good at over thinking things lol thanks for the advice ill try doing making one in black and white as well.

here is the final version, i plan on doing a black and white copy soon. The orange is the same color as it was before, for some reason when i uploaded it it was much brighter than it really is.
    http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...ntPoster-1.jpg
    Last edited by rdcarlson; 03-15-2010 at 10:29 PM.