Gig Posters

Posters: 157389 | Bands: 136807 | Designers: 11595                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Question How do you guys trim posters?

Hey! I am wondering what everyone uses to trim paper. Until this point, I've been using an Xacto knife. Any suggestions or experience on paper cutters?

Premium Member

Comments

pneumatic guillotine - here in the UK about 50p per cut ... mm perfection hundreds chomped at once, ask at your nearest digital/print/copy shop

Premium Member

Comments

yep. be nice to your local printers and they might cut stuff for a small fee using their two ton finger "chompers"

Comments

I use this:

http://www.dahle.com/products/trimme...s/personal.htm

i only print occasionally now, so it's perfect for small edition runs of prints that are less than 17".

Premium Member

Comments

I have a bevy of beavers I let loose.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLynnDesign View Post
    Hey! I am wondering what everyone uses to trim paper. Until this point, I've been using an Xacto knife. Any suggestions or experience on paper cutters?

I generally used to find an offset shop near me that had a guillotine larger than the long end of the largest sheets I could use.

More recently I've been using the Lawson MPU-42 that I bought. I got a refurbished one from C&P in NJ with Microcut and it has been doing the job well. But this is a 9,500 lb machine you are not likely to purchase.

Find someone who has one and find out what kind of beer they like or what kind of cookies they like or what kind of dank green they like, and make friends. If that fails, just ask them how much it would be to pay them for cutting.

Comments

Most of the time we use our 9000lbs Seybold paper cutter. But sometimes we have to cutdown bigger stuff with an exacto.
    We have a pretty good system for cutting that utilizes a long slightly bent steel straight edge (tear bar). It's bent so that we can tape it down to our table, tape down the registration system we used to print, and just slide the paper in, press down and cut.
    The amount of time not having to line up a ruler saves is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    Most of the time we use our 9000lbs Seybold paper cutter. But sometimes we have to cutdown bigger stuff with an exacto.
    We have a pretty good system for cutting that utilizes a long slightly bent steel straight edge (tear bar). It's bent so that we can tape it down to our table, tape down the registration system we used to print, and just slide the paper in, press down and cut.
    The amount of time not having to line up a ruler saves is enormous.

uh yuuuuup, this is right on the money.
    I have a table with a 4'x8' cutting mat and some sliding stops that can be bolted down- more or less the same idea as yours (I think we've talked about this?). I never thought of cambering the tear-bar though, that's genius- I use one that is really long and rigid, from GWJ http://www.gwjcompany.com/index.php?...products_id=66 - It's rigid, so usually I just lift it up, set it down on a block so it's raised, slide my next sheet, then set the cutter back down and bump back against the stops.

Comments

We bend them for this purpose and then just bend them back to be a straight edge when we are done.
    We get them from here...
    http://www.unitedmfrs.com/cart/detail.cfm?item=2764
    They come up to 60" long.
    We also have a monstrous 80"+ rotary cutter that runs on a track be we seldom use it.
    Cutting mats we typically get from here...
    http://www.signwarehouse.com/p-ENDURAMAT4896.html

Comments

Thanks for the info guys. Seems like a mix of utilizing a professional printer with a good ol' X-acto. Good to know!