...I think we might as well have one. Lots of GP folks use them and many more will get them. All these machines have a learning curve, and there's a great knowledge base here.
I'll inaugurate it with my new printer=moron story.
I run an M&R Saturn 25x38 press. I upgraded from a hooptie press a few months ago and I'm still getting used to the Saturn.
Yesterday I started a print run. Edition of 600, second color of 5. Everything started out great; registration was right on, and I was ready to roll. Then, after about 15 passes, something weird started happening. The flood stroke began running very slowly, as if struggling against something. I messed with he flood speed and it made no difference. A few more passes, and it stops mid stroke. The display showed a Rear Proximity Malfunction. I try a few tricks, and can push the print carriage to the end of the stroke with my hand, but something is obviously wrong.
Fuck. I've got ink on the screen, registration dialed in... I don't want to abort the run, but I can't proceed.
I quickly check the M&R forums, don't find anything.
I call M&R support and describe my problem to the support guy, who is super helpful. He says there's an air brake on the stroke motor that will stick on occasion, tells me how to get to it. I thank him and run around the building looking for an Allen wrench to remove the print head cover. Eventually I find the Guitool. Thanks, guitool. I find the brake and yes, it isn't disengaging. I look around trying to find something to loosen or lubricate, but can't figure out what's going on. I call the guy who sold me the press. He tells me to look for a pressure valve in the print head, and add some pressure. I can't find one. I go to to the main pressure valve to add it there... and notice that it shows only 20psi. WTF.
Then a dim lightbulb appears over my head. I am a moran. I forgot to turn my compressor back on, when I arrived in the morning. The press had been running on residual pressure. The air brake is spring loaded, and the pressure doesn't brake it, it releases it. No pressure = brake stays closed = flood stoke can't flood.
I fire up the compressor, start printing, and everything goes great. Didn't need to abort and re-register.
Later I call the M&R support guy back, and tell him my tale in case someone else calls with the same problem. He laughs at me.
Anyway, semi-auto owners and those considering getting into one, post your questions, problems, disasters here. Someone might know something that will save you a lot of trouble.