Gig Posters

Posters: 154832 | Bands: 134938 | Designers: 11470                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Default The Semi-auto press technique and troubleshooting thread

...I think we might as well have one. Lots of GP folks use them and many more will get them. All these machines have a learning curve, and there's a great knowledge base here.

I'll inaugurate it with my new printer=moron story.

I run an M&R Saturn 25x38 press. I upgraded from a hooptie press a few months ago and I'm still getting used to the Saturn.
    Yesterday I started a print run. Edition of 600, second color of 5. Everything started out great; registration was right on, and I was ready to roll. Then, after about 15 passes, something weird started happening. The flood stroke began running very slowly, as if struggling against something. I messed with he flood speed and it made no difference. A few more passes, and it stops mid stroke. The display showed a Rear Proximity Malfunction. I try a few tricks, and can push the print carriage to the end of the stroke with my hand, but something is obviously wrong.

Fuck. I've got ink on the screen, registration dialed in... I don't want to abort the run, but I can't proceed.
    I quickly check the M&R forums, don't find anything.
    I call M&R support and describe my problem to the support guy, who is super helpful. He says there's an air brake on the stroke motor that will stick on occasion, tells me how to get to it. I thank him and run around the building looking for an Allen wrench to remove the print head cover. Eventually I find the Guitool. Thanks, guitool. I find the brake and yes, it isn't disengaging. I look around trying to find something to loosen or lubricate, but can't figure out what's going on. I call the guy who sold me the press. He tells me to look for a pressure valve in the print head, and add some pressure. I can't find one. I go to to the main pressure valve to add it there... and notice that it shows only 20psi. WTF.

Then a dim lightbulb appears over my head. I am a moran. I forgot to turn my compressor back on, when I arrived in the morning. The press had been running on residual pressure. The air brake is spring loaded, and the pressure doesn't brake it, it releases it. No pressure = brake stays closed = flood stoke can't flood.

I fire up the compressor, start printing, and everything goes great. Didn't need to abort and re-register.
    Later I call the M&R support guy back, and tell him my tale in case someone else calls with the same problem. He laughs at me.

Anyway, semi-auto owners and those considering getting into one, post your questions, problems, disasters here. Someone might know something that will save you a lot of trouble.
    Crosshair pushing here until its limit the bringing together.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Premium Member

Comments

Dan had a bad air day.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

how long does it take you to do 1-color in an edition of 600?

I'm seriously looking into purchasing a semi-auto this year.

Comments

Been there done that. I haven't printed on a smei-auto like along time and I have one

-loco

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Kotah View Post
    how long does it take you to do 1-color in an edition of 600?

I'm seriously looking into purchasing a semi-auto this year.
    Depends on a lot of things.
    Once I got going that run took about 2 hours.
    The previous color was a split fountain and more finicky, almost 3 hours.
    I sometimes fire up the old Lawson for inexact 1 color jobs where I don't have to be careful, or jobs where I print on a jig, and I can fly on that thing. Have done 1000+ in 2 hrs.

www.crosshairchicago.com

"Every single Crosshair poster I've ever seen is almost exactly the same. Do these guys even have a bit of creativity in them? I mean, come one - shitty old building pics photoshopped with text over them. Pretty pathetic to say the least."

"it just seems like so little effort is put into creating this? am i missing something?"

Comments

just curious, what is registering paper like on a semi-auto? not the knobs/micro-reg, but the actual line-up part. do you use tabs or pins or...? would you say you get better reg on a semi-auto than hand-pulling?

also, with a 25x38 press, do the same rules apply for max print size? for example, i can't do 18x24 prints by hand with a 26x36 screen - it's way too hard on my back/wrists. do you get more leeway on a semi-auto since the machine has no musculoskeletal system?

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I register the same way I always have, with little paper tabs. Registration is much more consistent than hand pulling, for me anyway. The Saturn is more accurate than my old Lawson machine.
    It's other variables that add the accuracy; less play than in the hinge clamps, exact repetition of the same action, uniform pressure, etc.. Tabs themselves are very accurate.

25x38" refers to max print area. The screens are much larger. But yes, the machine has no lower back and doesn't tire.

www.crosshairchicago.com

Comments

Another obv one but make sure your squeegee blades are kept sharp. We had some seriously frustrationg times about 2 years ago where the ink would bead up and smear . We trouble shot EVERYTHING before figuring out it was the blade.
    Now we make sure to get it sharpened here and there and no more troubles.

Comments

thanks for the insight, crosshair. perhaps someday i will own one.

Premium Member

Comments

Dan,

I've done that a few times. We turn our compressor off (not drained) during the day when we aren't printing. Do you wear a ear protection? I really get into listening to the press, the same way you'd listen to your car. It's the same motion over and over, and if you're gut is telling you that something sounds different, most likely something is. For future reference, we've run our compressor down to 60psi and did about 200 prints, not THAT much difference, but I can see how 20psi would be.

I also have a 25x38 Saturn, and freaking love it.

Dan, does yours have a squeegee pressure regulator? I built mine for about 20 bucks from grainger, and it makes a world of difference in printing. I'll send you my plans and pics, took 3 minutes to install.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.