Gig Posters

Posters: 154337 | Bands: 134496 | Designers: 11430                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments

Default Paper Sculpture: a process thread

I had to do a process presentation along with the project I did for class, so I figure I'd share it with you guys too.

I bought two pre-formed foam wreath forms from the craft store and foam glue. The other stuff, red and white acrylic paint, copy paper, red cardstock, scissors, utility blade, old toothbrush, and tissue paper, I already had lying around collecting dust.

I began by cutting around 1,000 feathers out of about a dozen sheet of standard white copy paper using four basic shapes. The majority were round down-like feathers ranging from half the size of a dime to silver dollar size. I cut each individually so no two would be exactly alike. Cut the basic shape, make a fold in the center (not end to end but close), cut along the sides to various degrees, curl the feather as you would a ribbon with edge of the scissors, and then fold again at the center seam.

I glued both foam forms together and shaved down the front to round it a bit more using the utility blade. I didn't know that Stryofoam is generally cut using heat, which also seals the foam so it doesn't continue to flake off. Ooops! I then covered the complete form in tissue paper so I would have a more solid and matte surface in case it showed between the feathers I would be applying.

After which, I glue each feather into place with a small amount of glue on the tip of the bottom seam and pressed each down with a chopstick. The feathers are so close together it's impossible to get your fingers between them without damaging the shape you created. I worked in a circular motion from the inside-out.

The last feathers to be put into place were the red ones. Then, I created the arrow using a wooden dowel cut to size, painted it with white acrylic, attached three large feathers with glue, and splattered the other end with red acrylic using an old toothbrush.

After the arrow was dry I shoved it into the foam without glue so it can be easily removed for shipping, storage, etc. Done!

Comments

Pretty rad. I dig it.

Premium Member

Comments

wow, that is really cool.

very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Comments

This place is so 2D, being a site about posters and all, it's cool to see some sculptural work in the mix. I really like it.

Premium Member

Comments

Awesome work. A thousand paper feathers, you say??
    justinsantora.com
    a letter of resignation

"put the immersion on your mensch with a scrub-coaster. then print with a 70 durometer skyguy"
    -Steve W

Comments

hellz yes.

Comments

high five, both the idea and the execution seem to be top notch!

- also - and not to be flip, but this kind of makes me think of a swan donut.

Comments

Nom nom, swan doughnut.

In the shadow of the Empire State Building
    Comments

Standing ovation for concept and execution and another round of applause for the process pics.