Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default Yikes - no files on desktop WTF!!!?

any suggestions? just reboot and see what happens?

I don't remember doing anything. and if I use my search icon, the files are still available if i can remember their name it's just they don't show in the finder when I click desktop, and there are no icons on the descktop except the 2 harddrive icons (sm and big)

it's a mac G4, older, kind of a mess, but usually pretty reliable.

Also, my trash won't empty, this has been an ongoing problem.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

thats happened to my laptop once or twice, reboot, or relaunch finder

Premium Member

Comments

Do you have a few thousand files on your desktop? If you do, to the point where you can't look at them in list view in a finder window... there are a few things you can do.

1.... Start from a different drive, navigate to your HD/user/desktop folder, make a new folder, put all those files in it, make an alias to leave on the desktop, move folder to Documents, restart.

2.... If you have another mac, start problem mac in target disk mode (hold down T on startup), connect the two via firewire, navigate to your HD/user/desktop folder, make a new folder, put all those files in it, make an alias to leave on the desktop, move folder to Documents, restart.

or

3.... make a new user account on your G4 with admin read/write privileges, log in to that account, navigate to your HD/user (the one with the problem)/desktop folder, make a new folder, put all those files in it, make an alias to leave on the desktop, move folder to Documents... log back in as that user.

A friend of mine tried to drag 6,000 hi res digital photos to his trash and missed. They all ended up on the desktop. Only one icon was visible as they were stacked on top of each other. Caused all kinds of problems. The only way to deal with it is to look at that desktop folder from another active account. If that's the actual desktop folder for the account you're logged in on, the system tries to keep all those icons in memory so you can see them instantly. As I understand it, the desktop folder is the only one the system treats that way... so, the fewer files on it, the better. I keep the actual folders in my Documents folder, and leave aliases on the desktop. In OSX, you can add folders to the left pane in your finder windows. Keeps all you favorites handy in all finder windows and almost all open/save dialog boxes.

Also, run Disk Utility and do a Repair Permissions.
    This douche requires a lesson in humility that starts with a pillowcase full of soda cans and ends with emergency dental surgery. - Von Dada

Premium Member

Comments

Someone told me the restarting while holding shift will start the computer in "safety mode" or something.

Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Premium Member

Comments

Andy -- get a new machine. G4 is pushin' it. Dunno how much you rely upon it but if it's an hour a day, it's worth getting a shiny new Mac.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?

Premium Member

Comments

that's exactly what is happening right now, I'm on my little babymacbook till we get the new machine. Can't wait.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

new and shiny and fast. love it so far......but no luck with those lost files. That's all my shit from the last year basically. I'm hoping some of the stuff will still be in emails etc that I have sent.

I will back up files, I will back up files, I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,I will back up files, I will back up files,

yes i will.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Premium Member

Comments

You might be able to set up a scheduled task (don't know how you do it for Mac -- I know how you do it for windows), and if you have a dvd burner in the new machine, leave a blank dvd in the tray and let a backup utility periodically backup your files automatically, until the dvd is full. Then, put in a new blank. Don't have to worry about lost files.

Also, you might want to see if there is a desktop option which hides the desktop icons. In windows, you would right click on the desktop, and select "arrange icons by", then "show desktop icons". There might be something similar in Mac.

Premium Member

Comments

^ With his new machine, Time Machine and an external should negate the need for optical backups. However on-site and off-site backups (such as remote server or a safe somewhere else) is generally considered to be best practice. Bottom line -- stuff you don't want to lose which doesn't get updated/changed is super easy to save, so just make multiple backups and rest easy. As for the rest, nowadays setting up an automated backup scheme is both easy and relatively cheap, so there's no reason not to. I highly recommend SyncBack for PC, even the free version is great.

Andy glad to hear you got a new machine! What did you get?

Also, just b/c your files aren't appearing on your G4's desktop does not mean they're not on the hard drive. Have you tried using the Finder / whatever Mac's file explorer is called now, to locate directory that holds your desktop items? I'd bet your files are right where they're supposed to be.

And yeah definitely check the display settings and see if you toggled a preference to hide desktop files/folders... seems like the most likely situation.
    bakerprints.com | BP GP | BP twatter | BP facespace
    Quote Originally Posted by crosshair View Post
    Kyle travels through time to help people. What the fuck do you do?

Premium Member

Comments

I'm going to set the old computer up again and see if i can find them - can't find them anywhere on the new, they supposedly transfered everything. new is regular imac basic machine. the monitor and pics/graphics are so sharp on this.

Once the dust settles and aI make some more scratch I will buy an external HD and start using the timemachine.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.