Gig Posters

Posters: 154781 | Bands: 134836 | Designers: 11467                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Premium Member

Comments

Default printing in the 3rd dimension -jiggy jiggy

From time to time, some idiot will walk in your shop with the bright idea to print on something that isn't 2 dimensional. This happens to screenprinters a lot, because most 'normal' printers are stuck working on thin flexible sheets. We the lucky ones. this is a job from a fellow A.S.S. member and local native artist Andy Everson. He produced a set of limited edition giclee prints and wanted to box them nice. The boxes are acid free. We've got some aluminum ones we are playing with now.

So, first you need to check your ink and make sure it's compatible. Dab a little inside on one where it won't be seen. If that works, proceed. if it doesn't find a different ink.

Next, make sure the image fits a flat area. You can't print rounds or over corners with much luck or consistency. Make sure the client knows, and keep the image in from the edge.

When you have those two things down, time to jig up.

In this case, the print goes on a black box lid. If we just tried to print it as is, the top would collapse or move, resulting in no print, or a blurred print. So the first thing to do is create a build up that holds the box lid. I made this from mdf, with a 2" bottom edge of foam core all around. This created a pocket under the jig that the suction from the vac table would hold - handy to align the print. Once I dropped the box on I pushed the centre, and it was still not supported. So I added 3 pieces of matt board in the centre to support the lid.

I put the box on to check the fit - it must register to a side and top, and also come off and go on easily and quickly. Need to raise and align the front and the back clamps and screen support.

Put the screen in place and check your off contact. the screen needs to be even over the surface, and also a little off contact. Use shims to get this right.

you can see at the back we have the clamps raised up so when the screen is at rest, it sits slightly above the surface of the box lid.

Finished product - silver ink - wouldn't sit in the racks, so they got laid all around the shop. I printed on double while setting up, and another we forgot was on the rack and flipped it up, wrecking it. Get your customer to order extras when printing oddball things.

this is what the finished set looks like
    Artwork by Andy Everson
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Nice work as usual. We did some covers of this sort that were made and shipped from China. We were lucky that the manufacturer made a sort of accordion spacer for the inside of each so that they wouldn't be crush during transport. We were able to just load them in our press and print them.

Your project (It's for those Olympic posters right?) is going to be beautiful.
    What's the set selling for?

Premium Member

Comments

$1000 for the set $120 ea for the prints.

I know I'm the anti giclee guy, but Everson is the real deal. He creates all his own designs on the computer, then does his own printing. We've done some screenprints too.

Check his site - he has created interactive DVDs to help kids learn the Kwaguilth language, he formed a traditional dance group, which has been all over the world. Just ran for chief on the reserve here but lost. He will be the chief here one day.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Andymac View Post
    From time to time, some idiot will walk in your shop with the bright idea to print on something that isn't 2 dimensional. This happens to screenprinters a lot, because most 'normal' printers are stuck working on thin flexible sheets. We the lucky ones. this is a job from a fellow A.S.S. member and local native artist Andy Everson. He produced a set of limited edition giclee prints and wanted to box them nice. The boxes are acid free. We've got some aluminum ones we are playing with now.

So, first you need to check your ink and make sure it's compatible. Dab a little inside on one where it won't be seen. If that works, proceed. if it doesn't find a different ink.

Next, make sure the image fits a flat area. You can't print rounds or over corners with much luck or consistency. Make sure the client knows, and keep the image in from the edge.

When you have those two things down, time to jig up.

In this case, the print goes on a black box lid. If we just tried to print it as is, the top would collapse or move, resulting in no print, or a blurred print. So the first thing to do is create a build up that holds the box lid. I made this from mdf, with a 2" bottom edge of foam core all around. This created a pocket under the jig that the suction from the vac table would hold - handy to align the print. Once I dropped the box on I pushed the centre, and it was still not supported. So I added 3 pieces of matt board in the centre to support the lid.

I put the box on to check the fit - it must register to a side and top, and also come off and go on easily and quickly. Need to raise and align the front and the back clamps and screen support.

Put the screen in place and check your off contact. the screen needs to be even over the surface, and also a little off contact. Use shims to get this right.

you can see at the back we have the clamps raised up so when the screen is at rest, it sits slightly above the surface of the box lid.

Finished product - silver ink - wouldn't sit in the racks, so they got laid all around the shop. I printed on double while setting up, and another we forgot was on the rack and flipped it up, wrecking it. Get your customer to order extras when printing oddball things.

this is what the finished set looks like
    Artwork by Andy Everson
    where is that hinge clamp set from? they look great compared to the speedball ones.

Premium Member

Comments

Those are probably the hinges that Andy's company, TMI Screenprinting Equipment makes.

TMI Screenprinting Equipment

I wish my school would line the lab with those suckers.

Andy! When we getting our hinges? Deduct that dry rack you picked up off us and send them out with the invoice!

Being a custom shop we print on all kinds of weird things...

-Bedroom Decor
    -Wood Panels
    -Skateboards
    -Bottles
    -Weird lanyard thing's
    -Those cross walk button signs
    -Poker and Pool Tables
    -Glass trophy's
    -Aluminum, tin, and other metal signs
    -CDs, Hockey Pucks, Beer Koozies...

Its fun.

Premium Member

Comments

ah sorry....I thought you were coming over and would pick up!

Also, I was hoping to have the better version finished by now - but I have a couple of old sets here, I will send a pair down.
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.

Don't mind waiting for BETTER ones! =)

Premium Member

Comments

I need a fabricator up here. I've got the final (clamp) solution figured out.

Protoype>CAD drawings>production run

machine and fabrication shop.....anywhere? this place is so fuct. Where's needles?
    Andymac

Todo es empezar.