Gig Posters

Posters: 155569 | Bands: 135488 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Premium Member

Comments

Default 10 jobs that are going extinct.

from the news.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/05/pf/q_lostjob/index.htm

Old-fashioned jobs

The U.S. work force is undergoing profound structural change, and "quaint" jobs keep disappearing.
    January 7, 2004: 9:19 AM EST
    By Leslie Haggin Geary, CNN/Money Staff Writer

New York (CNN/Money) – At Hoover's Dairy Farm, in Sanborn, N.Y., they still deliver milk the old-fashioned way: in glass bottles dropped off door-to-door.

Edwin Hoover opened his farm back in 1920 and it's now run by the fifth generation of the family: Robert, his wife, Julie, and their sons, Rob and Tom.

The farm's refrigerated red-and-white milk trucks have long been a familiar sight throughout Niagara County, making rounds to about 1,800 customers.

"Some of the older people still have milk boxes attached to their homes. We also have keys to people's home so we'll leave the milk right in the fridge or in the garage to keep cool," says Julie.

It wasn't so very long ago that the delivery of fresh milk was a common event. Now, the number of milkmen making door-to-door rounds can probably be counted "on one hand," surmises Julie. "We've hung in there."

Economists call the permanent demise of certain jobs a "structural" loss because their absence changes the shape and texture of the current labor market. These days, more and more individuals are working in jobs that are disappearing from the American landscape.

In fact, the nation's current work force is now undergoing the most profound structural change since World War II, says Erica L. Groshen, a labor economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.

Groshen recently co-authored a study looking at today's permanent job losses that have mounted even as the economy recovers. The findings? A full 79 percent of U.S. jobs are in "structurally" changed professions, where employers have permanently eliminated jobs they won't ever refill.

Instead, they are changing the way they do business, and the kind of employees they hire.

"As farms became more and more productive, that released more labor to work in cities and in manufacturing," says Groshen. "As manufacturing became more productive, that released people to work in the service sector."

The economist cites globalization as a factor in the evolution of the American work force.

"As we trade, we release more labor from the service sector because our highly skilled and highly paid workers lose their competitive advantage," she observes. "So we go on to the next big thing. We specialize in innovation. We start new products and industries."
    "i pretty much think dave has nothing of any value to offer anyone on gigposters.com"-jay ryan
    "im the brown note of lighting"-me

PSTRSTOM-N-DAVE.COM •My Blog For New Attitions To Our Site ROMG!!!! •My Myspace Acct!

Comments

what about milkmen?

Comments

great, half the amount of proofreaders than there used to be...you can tell, you know...the papers are full of typos. i read a crime report and 'the grisly find' was actually spelled 'the grizzly find'. it drives me nuts...

...but it drives my wife even more nuts. she used to be a proofreader...

bud.

Comments

I hear new vistas are opening in the buggywhip field.

Premium Member

Comments

this was another interesting thing i saw.
    "i pretty much think dave has nothing of any value to offer anyone on gigposters.com"-jay ryan
    "im the brown note of lighting"-me

PSTRSTOM-N-DAVE.COM •My Blog For New Attitions To Our Site ROMG!!!! •My Myspace Acct!

Comments

People still go to travel agents?

Comments

Thank god Fur Trapper isn't on that list. I've gotta feed me and Cochina somehow.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by RichieGoodtimes
    Thank god Fur Trapper isn't on that list. I've gotta feed me and Cochina somehow.
    male fluffer is not on the list either

Comments

Then you will always have work, Gil.

Comments

you see the way i set you up there?