Gig Posters

Posters: 154432 | Bands: 134602 | Designers: 11438                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Photoshop harassment

I've searched around, there's a few topics like this (including one i made myself a while back regarding lettering) but nothing that helps me with this specific problem, so i hope it's ok to post this - it's driving me crazy.

1) I did a drawing. Here's a piece of it so you know what kind of thing we're talking about here (just a black and white pen drawing):

2) I scanned it in.

3) Now, what i want to do is change the black line colour, lets say to bright green. I've found a couple of ways to do this, the easiest seems to be using the 'screen option'. (Layer of green over the top, screen option, merge the layers - voila a green line drawing on a white background.)

4) Now here's the problem. I want to drop my new bright green line drawing over a navy blue background.

I can't find a single way of doing this. Because it's hand drawn and not some vector image, there seems to be no way at all to remove the white without pixellation around the edges. Magic wand won't work, knocking it out won't work. I don't know how to turn it into a vector, and i wouldn't want to anyway as that would make it all crisp and shiny, which is not what i'm going for at all.

If i wanted a white background, no problem. Like i said, i could change the layer to 'multiply', and bam, green on white. I need something like this, that will allow me to drop bright colours over dark colours, whilst excluding the white.

If anyone could help me, i would be in your debt, i've been struggling with this for months, and i'm beginning to think it simply isn't possible

Comments

Grayscale image. Double click the background to make it a layer. Command click on gray channel. Delete. White is knocked out.

Or use Ghost, it's free and works perfectly. Knocks out all white seamlessly. Part of the free plug ins pack. Flaming Pearownload

Comments

i like your drawing.

Comments

you can go to select -> color range -> select white, then reverse the marquee and it'll have the black selected. there are parameters that you can change to get it just right.

Comments

Quote Originally Posted by austininin View Post
    you can go to select -> color range -> select white, then reverse the marquee and it'll have the black selected. there are parameters that you can change to get it just right.
    Yeah, or you could select highlights, that might get it closer to what you want it to look like.

I usually do Color Overlay and select Screen to do the color change to the lineart.

There are several ways to do that.

Comments
    Items for Sale

also, if magic wand/knocking out isn't working, it could be that you are not scanning in at a high enough ppi, or you might need to adjust the wand settings.

Premium Member

Comments

shove that magic wand up your ass. that tool is for children and old people.

Comments

What I usually do is:

1) Scan line art in Black & White Mode @ 600 - 1200dpi.

2)Convert to Greyscale.

3) Select the Paint Bucket Tool, deselect the "Contiguous" box, put a tolerance of 10 and fill the black line art with black (just in case the line art has pixels of black that are a little higher or lower in value, I want to make sure they're all the same).

4) Change mode to RGB Color.

5) Use Paint Bucket Tool, fill the white background with your color of choice.

6) Use Paint Bucket Tool, fill your line art with your color of choice.

My 2 Cents.
    Copy your art, make a alpha channel, inverse it so that BG is white and then paste your art.
    Option click the layer so it selects all pixels except white.
    Go back to layers and create a new layer then fill...should be an exact copy but no white.

Extra: Lock the layer with the transparency lock or whatever it is so you can fill with whatever color and it will maintain the same gradients etc.

Comments

Channels!!!!