Gig Posters

Posters: 155580 | Bands: 135525 | Designers: 11505                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Printing a .ps file from Indesign

So to create PDFs from Quark files I print a .ps file and then run that through Distiller. Is it possible to do this in Indesign? I keep getting the error - "The Save as PDF and Save PDF as PostScript options in the Printer dialog are not supported."

Comments

Export PDF

Premium Member

Comments

shut it Droid
    'Death to Drozd/Long Live Drozd'

www.lukedrozd.com

Comments

Oh man, Distiller. I thought it died 5 years ago.
    Why don't you just create the PDFs from the native apps?

Comments

The pdfs generated by File > Export are way too large. The problem has something to do with complex eps files that have been placed into the ID document.

Premium Member

Comments

I'll often export a "smallest file size" setting pdf straight out of InDesign to quickly attach for a client approval or something. You can even reduce a pdf's file size in Adobe Acrobat by selecting Document > Reduce File Size - but the results of this can vary depending on the resolution of images already in the layout.

Distiller dying 5 years ago? I guess I was just beginning my design schooling then, but I use it on a daily basis at my day job today. It can help clean up output errors [ghosted boxes over shapes with drop shadows for example] and does a really great job reducing the end file size while keeping images hi-res.

To do this in InDesign: hit Control+P to print. In the dialogue box choose your pdf settings - do you want to include bleed/trim marks, slug area, choose the paper size and pages to include, etc. Then make sure the Printer selection is the correct driver, probably Adobe PDF 8.0 or Adobe PDF 9.0 in the list. You may even have to load this. Once these selections are made you can save it all as a preset, something that saves me alot of time. Finally, hit print and it will create a .PS file which you can then drop into Distiller.

Premium Member

Comments

You really shouldn't need to use distiller unless you're working with files created in non Adobe apps. If you're getting ghosting boxes from drop shadows and etc.. then you're doing it wrong and need to adjust your transparency settings. Also it can be fixed with applications like Pit-Stop.

Premium Member
    Comments

At work to print to a .ps file I downloaded a print driver called PantherPro. You just change it to post script, and select PatherPro as the printer.