Gig Posters

Posters: 156388 | Bands: 135997 | Designers: 11551                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Real biz talk ya'll

Hey beautiful people,

I've been getting more and more into poster designing and screen printing over the past 3-4 years. I'm at the point now where my main source of income is flowing solely from designing and screen printing in house. While I feel like I've learned a lot about the printing process and the business over the past couple years, it's mostly been thru learning the hard way. While that's all good with me, and ultimately the best learning experience, I still feel like there are ways I could streamline. I basically just want to be open about the process I've learned so far in getting clients and pricing. I look up to a lot of you fuckers on here and any advice to someone new to game would be mucho appreciated.

Here is where I start most of the time, searching for manager/ booking agent contact info...
    Then I send something along the following...
    --------------------------
    Greetings........,

My name is Matthew Decker and I'm an poster designer based in Sarasota, FL. I wanted to get in touch and see if you might be interested in working together on a screen print for (bands name) (Date/venue) concert?

Ive worked with Tame Impala, Tedeschi Trucks, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, Ray LaMontagne, Belle & Sebastian, Black rebel Motorcycle Club etc...

If you would like to take a look at my work, please visit
    www.matthewstuartdecker.com

Be well, Matt
    --------------------------
    And hopefully I don't sound like a robot and they actually read the email.

Pricing---
    For more local mid sized concerts (500-2000 people) I usually do the 50/50 split deal at the end of the show, cash money baby. But, if it's a 75-200 poster sized proj. out of the state that I'll be shipping, I charge $7 per print plus shipping. Does this seem reasonable? The last thing I want to do is cheapen the market for everyone else.

Being able to print myself and keep the whole paycheck has been key for me. But I wonder how some of you folks who outsource printing are able to stay afloat so seemingly well. I sell a decent amount of my posters in others markets (online, craft markets etc...) but definitely need to amp that up considerably. I'm sure I have some other questions as well, but that's all for now... hopefully someone can lay down some nuggets to blow my mind!

thanks in adv.,
    Matt

Premium Member

Comments

Thanks for putting this post together, Matt. I see a lot of people asking for stuff like this on here without a lot of people willing to comment on it one way or the other. The truth of the matter is, there is a lot of us younger cats coming into the scene now without a lot of the knowledge that some of the old guard have and it's not really easy to come across it. We all go by trial and error and are learning our way in an industry that maybe doesn't respect us the way that it used to. Music promoters learned a long time ago that a powerful poster can help a show, but now they can just as easily get one made through some shitty contest site and only shell out $50 in prizes and call it a day. The more we can talk about these kind of things and get the newer people learning, the less likely they will be to turn to those kinds of site to get their work out. And the less work going through the sites the better for all of us. Or maybe I'm just drunk and rambling. Who knows. Happy frickin' Turkey Day.

Thanks for getting back to me Skinny D! Just looking to start some discussion really. If were all on the same page I think it makes the whole industry stronger.

It's cool, I was drunk when I started the thread! I'll be enjoying the Sierra Nevada Celebration myself today. Eat on!!

Also thought of some questions regarding shipping, sorry if this should just be common sense...

I normally only charge the client for shipping of the prints to the venue/hotel etc..
    Do any of you who design and print also charge for the shipping of printing materials such as paper/ transparencies etc?

Premium Member

Comments

You mean shipping of the supplies to you? I don't directly charge for it, but I work it into my price. I base my stock price off the price of the actual paper plus the shipping, then divide by the number of pieces if that makes sense.

As for shipping the printed pieces to the band/venue/promoter, yea, I charge for that.

Thanks SkinnyD, that's how I go about it too. This week I had my first poster not make it to the show, bummer. 2 nights at the House of Blues in Boston, UPS had a late truck and they arrived too late. Fortunately all 90 prints sold out in 2 days on their online store. I've had to drop my price however from $7 to $4 per print due to their online shop fee's.

Had another project this week, a 50/50 split kinda deal. Some of those nights are great, Sometimes $600+. Although this time around 19 sold, was about $360 profit. How do you (or anyone else) deal with a low turn out 50/50 split? Are online sales your savior for the left over stock? Also, is this a good spot on the forum for a conversation like this?

thanks!!!