Gig Posters

Posters: 158655 | Bands: 137633 | Designers: 11664                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Comments

Default Here goes nothin'...

Got home from the day gig tonight and climbed online to do the usual checking in on social media thing to decompress some before I get started on some of my own design work. Saw on one of the poster groups on FB a print that was posted by a collector of a recent print release of a very well known designer who I know outsources their printing. The poster is gorgeous and the print quality seems impeccable from what I can see in the picture. I stared at the picture for a long time and out of nowhere was hit by a crushing wave of sobering dismay. I thought to myself, "How the fuck am I supposed to do anything that even resembles that?!" This isn't the first time this has ever happened to me but, for some reason, it landed REALLY fast and hard tonight.

My story is the same as many of yours, I know from getting to know you online and at Flatstock - I still have a full time day gig, a wife, I'll soon have my first kid, I've had a print studio on the side for 5 years this summer and been designing and printing for quite a bit longer than that. I have a studio with some nice equipment and I feel like I've taking my lumps as we all do in this medium but... When I look at some of these 12 color, 3,000 print runs that are being done and the observe the habits of the collector culture, I sort of feel like I'm pissin' in the wind.

Not meant to be a pity party and I don't know what to expect as a response. Just wondering if anyone on the print / design side of things might be willing to share their thoughts or if anyone else feels similarly. Thanks in advance.

Premium Member

Comments

I feel ya, man. I know exactly what you're talking about with Facebook, too. I'm not ever going to have the set up to do a run like that. And even if I could, I don't know that I would want to. In the beginning I was doing more with less mostly because I had to, but it's since turned into a style of mine and something the people that buy from me like about the work I do. Nothing more than 5 color, and it's usually 3 or less, and my runs are almost never over 50. I have a day job, a kid, a pregnant wife. My shop may just be out of my basement, but I'm doing it all by hand and I'm damn proud of the work I'm putting out. I just keep at it with the hopes that one day my particular style of printmaking will be cool enough, I guess.

Whatever, fuck it. I like what I do. I LOVE what you do. You don't need 12 colors and run of 3000. Just keep on, man.