Gig Posters

Posters: 155198 | Bands: 135211 | Designers: 11481                 

RSS Feeds

Username:   Password: 
Register      

Social Networking Activity                 

Bands  Designers  New Arrivals  Top Lists  Forums  Buy Posters  Submit  Merch Store  Advertise  Widgets  Help

Default Registration Tips

I'm sure there are a million threads regarding this (believe me, i've looked over them)

Has anyone got any registration tips at all for registering multiple screens? Especially over a large print (A1).

Obviously i use reg marks and the tip i was taught was a snapped credit card taped to form an edge to push the paper against, i can't do this anymore because it effects the screen contact and it's not quite accurate enough for a process print or any other form of 5+ colour prints.

Anyone wish to share their tips? I'd be more than grateful.
    Thanks
    -Alex

Comments

It's not the snapped credit card that's not accurate enough. It's you. We use plastic cards that we make from sheet plastic for reg and have no problems due to them. We add a bigger piece of old film to the bottom and double stick tape it on the back of the card so that the paper cannot slip under the reg tab. But besides that the rest of your registration problems are most likely caused by human error and paper expansion and contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    It's not the snapped credit card that's not accurate enough. It's you. We use plastic cards that we make from sheet plastic for reg and have no problems due to them. We add a bigger piece of old film to the bottom and double stick tape it on the back of the card so that the paper cannot slip under the reg tab. But besides that the rest of your registration problems are most likely caused by human error and paper expansion and contraction.
    I'm not having problems per se, it's just not working out as perfectly inline as i'd of hoped. How do you counteract the fact that the card adds about 1mm of off contact?

Sometimes it leads to bleeding prints because of the height difference where the credit card is and isnt.

I.e the ink in the corner where the registration card is the ink doesn't smoothly go down, how do you get around this? Flatter plastic card? I mean surely any distance between substrate and screen is going to effect the print.

Thanks for the help btw.

Premium Member

Comments

Print on larger sheets of paper. The off contact that the card is causing shouldn't cause your print to be affected unless you're trying to print right up to the edge of the paper.

Get Dymo label tape. it's the same height of 100# paper.
    The Half and Half
    Now Selling Speedball Ink for all your East Coasters.

Premium Member

Comments
    Items for Sale

I just cut 3 little 1" wide strips of whatever paper I'm printing on so it's the same thickness, and tape them to the press bed with some blue painter's masking tape. No off contact problems, perfect registration, and easy to reposition on the fly. Couldn't be simpler.

Comments

What crosshair says if we are printing that close to the edge. But generally we print with borders big enough that the tabs do not interfere with the printing.

Quote Originally Posted by squeegeethree View Post
    What crosshair says if we are printing that close to the edge. But generally we print with borders big enough that the tabs do not interfere with the printing.
    What Crosshairs says sounds like a very good idea, i used masking tape (doubled up) for while, but it was a single colour print that was A5 flyers.... onto A5, so it was print right to the edges so it effected it quite a bit off-contact wise. If it's a multiple colour print i usually have a big enough border (for registration marks) either way.

Thanks for the advice guys, massively helpful!

Premium Member

Comments

reg tab height not higher than paper or stock height.

Beware of using soft materials for register guides if there is any chance of them getting worn down over the print run.

We stack up 4 pieces of sticker and cut into squares. then just peel and stick. Easy to reposition.

Always, the worst issue around registration is usually operator error - not placing the stock firmly and precisely in the corner and side guides.
    Andymac

services www.squeegeeville.com
    equipment www.tmiscreenprinting.com

Todo es empezar.