Process thread, eight color art print
Greetings! I was feeling a bit overdue for a process thread, so I've been taking photos while I completed a new art print this past week. A couple of steps are missing (but I'll be as thorough as I can when explaining), and please excuse any less-than-ideal photo quality.
We start here with a finished ink drawing, which looks like this:
Anyone at Flatstock 35 in Chicago last weekend may recognize this image, as a digitally colored version of it was used for the brochure.
I took the drawing to Kinko's and enlarged/printed it onto film with the blueprint printer. In this case, I wanted to separate the drawing into two different keyline films (one for the grass and one for the billboard explosion).
I take the films back to the studio and get them on my light table and start planning out some clouds for the background with pencil on bond paper. Then I put a fresh sheet of rubylith down and cut out some basic cloud shapes.
Then it's time to start doing this:
Listening to Unsolved Mysteries reruns and hatching
Maybe you noticed how the clouds breach the upper left corner of the billboard. Since the line work was so thin on this thing (and since I'll have to register two different tight keylines), I decided to just place an opaque spot color down just before the key. So the first film is done done, and it's time to print the first color.
Mixing the first color. Gray!
The first color looks like this: