we had a good meeting found out about what hurdles we will have for certain suggestions or proposals we took from all the chatter this week. Almost every thing we talked about can potentially be done IF the right things fall into place. These things falling into place are not known right now but will be closer to the Convention.
One thing for sure is we can't pull off a BMX/Skate thing inside. There are SXSW film screenings in adjoining rooms and there is a serious noise concern even above ours. No "plugged in" bands either. The acoustic suggestion maybe but not sure so don't get all worked up one way or the other yet.
Now what we do need to know is how many can feasibly make three days? the dates would be Thursday, Friday and Saturday March 16th 17th 18th.
We will have extended hours but just by one. We will go 11 - 6 instead of 12 - 6. Issue here is SXSW actually is closed down by 4 on Saturday and vacated. Flatstock is the only thing still in the convention center and we all know that even though we set 6 as closing time we are still there till at least 8 clearing out. SXSW doesn't want to be there any later than that. We also want to keep hours consistent so if we set Sat. to close at 6 the other days close at 6.
Now for the third day. SXSW has trending that shows Wed. is the biggest day for registrants and Thursday is the second biggest. They also know the big wave of Thursday people come in early afternoon. So the proposal is to have a late morning set up and open Flatstock at 1 on Thursday and go till 6. This will allow those of you who don't want to fly in wed night and pay for another hotel night to fly in Thursday morning and set up.
So we need to have at a min 50% to 75% consensus that a third day is sustainable by those of you planning on attending. You can e-mail me or post here. I will only count the yes or no votes. No maybes etc.
If we go three days you will have to commit to three days just like Seattle. You can't just attend Friday and Sat or Thurs and Friday.
The other thing we need now is SXSW has the entire Wellesley blocked. We can have as many rooms as we want but we have to book really soon. the rooms we don't take will be filled with bands more than likely.
here's' the spot. right now it shows $69 and $79 a night but I also heard $89 so it's pretty cheap.
we need to know how many we can commit to and get them blocked/booked for API members.
so there ya have it. All the other suggestions have been passed to SXSW and I don't have any immediate answers but the ideas are out there. We also have some interesting potential sponsors but nothing confirmed so I'll wait until we lock that down. More to come.